Now, I know you’ve seen rasta pasta taking over the internet and I have to admit I have super intimidated to try to put by own spin on it, especially because I haven’t found a good recipe. That’s when I decided to make my own!
- 3 medium sized oyster mushrooms
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 medium sized onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1- 10oz can of Grace Foods Hot Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- 1/2 box of pasta (I used Barilla linguine noodles but you can use any kind you like)
- 2 – 15oz cans of full fat coconut milk
- vegan Parmesan cheese
- 1 bunch of green onions or scallions
- extra virgin olive oil
- plastic wrap
- Clean the peppers and mushrooms throughly with water
- Slice the peppers in long strips
- Slice the mushrooms in discs*
- Slice onions into thin slices
- Mince the garlic and set aside
- Add peppers, mushrooms and onions to a mixing bowl
- Add 1/4 cup of the jerk seasoning to the vegetables (use gloves!)
- Mix the marinade into the vegetables to ensure an even distribution of the seasoning
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in the fridge for at least a half hour.
- While the vegetables are marinating, cook your pasta according to box instructions and set aside but do not drain!
- Once the vegetables have marinated, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a pan and sauté the vegetables until tender. At this step you can add more marinade but remember it’s HOT so be careful to not add too much.
- Once the vegetables are done, add the two cans of coconut milk and stir. Allow the coconut milk to heat up in the pan.
- Then add 3 tablespoons of vegan parmesan cheese
- Once the sauce is heated through you can add more seasoning to it but be wary as the marinade has a lot of salt, so you don’t want to add more than necessary. The only seasoning I used in this dish was the jerk marinade and it was perfectly seasoned.
- Your sauce should begin to thicken at this point, if not you can add more cheese. (It should only take a few minutes to thicken)
- Add your pasta to the sauce and stir.
- If you think you sauce is too thick, then add pasta water one paddle at a time to thin it out.
- Serve in a deep bowl and add scallions on top!